Sunday, August 9, 2009

Ding Dong the bells are gonna chime!!


I have found that I am astonishingly busy for a person that is does nothing.

This was the pre-wedding week, and I spent a good amount of time helping Davida out with the various things that she had to get done. I spent one day with Davida and her dad working on the house that she and David are moving into, we had a rather spectacular bachelorette party one night (and I spent the next day recovering from it), I designed a frame for her Ketuba, and spent most of today with her and two other friends. We went Mayan-hopping (a mayan is a natural pool of water), hung out on the Tayelet (park that overlooks most of Jerusalem), and then frantically called around trying to find a notary to sign off on their pre-nup tonight.
The wedding is tomorrow morning and I will be going straight to Efrat afterwards, which is why I am sending this email tonight.

So basically, this was a week for Davida and I have been trying to help in any way I can to alleviate some of the pre-wedding stress. I have never been this up close and personal with a bride (and groom) the week before their wedding, and I have learned that it is both scary and amazing. Everyone is stressed, but it comes out differently. Some people become short and temperamental and fight about small things. Others get quiet and keep it all in until they hit a breaking point. And everyone becomes very self-focused. I guess what amazes me is that through all the fights and stresses and breakdowns, they still want to get married!
I know I am at the age where my friends are going to start getting married, and I am supposed to be thinking about it as well. And while this is not the first wedding of my peers, it is the first where I am so close to the couple and had a chance to witness a relationship develop into a marriage. And I wanted to talk about all I have learned right now, but I am having trouble articulating my thoughts. Unclear whether that is because I am tired or just havent formulated any opinions yet. What I can say is that it amazes me to see two people so committed to being together, that are so happy that even when they are miserable or fighting they still see their future together clearly. I envy that certainty. I am not that sure about anything in life, or rather, any certainty I do feel is tempered by a heart-wrenching fear that I am wrong.

Anyway, that is my thought to ponder. I am going to sleep so that I can fully rejoice in the certainty and love of my two friends tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment