Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Roller Coaster, Trampolines and other analogies for "ups and downs"

This was a week of ups and downs. I really wanted to write this in a cool graph that brought my words up and down to further symbolize the message I am sending. But I dont know how to do that. So we will go with a simpler route.

 

 :( (Down): I started ulpan on Sunday, but in the first of many incidents that led to me to understand that I am a late person (some of you probably could have told me this) I was two hours late for my first day. I do not like making excuses, but since yall are friends I will just say it had to do with a lack of tremps (hitchhikes), a lack of buses, and a lack of energy.

 

 :) (Up): They were totally ok with me being late and I got put into one of the intermediate classes. I really like my classmates, But I do not think I am in the right level, so I am going to try to move up a class next week. I tried this week but they were like "No! We'll just make the class harder" which made me feel bad for everyone else, but also didnt work. The ulpan is a bit of a schlepp to get to, but overall I am liking it.

 

:(  Mia and Davida were both gone this week (Mia is in basic training and Davida went to visit her brother in Maale Gilboa, up north). So I was alone in the apartment, and it was rather lonely. I began to wonder if I had missed out by not living in the ulpan with everyone and was slightly intimidated by the prospect of having to make an entirely new social circle, which I hadnt really thought too much about.

 

 :) I do have good friends here, just not doing the same things I am doing, so it is sometimes hard to see them. But when I needed them this week they gave me the necessary pep-talks and when I was invited out with some people from ulpan I braved the awkwardness of going out without a wingman and had a really good time. We went to a bar where a ton of people from my ulpan were celebrating various birthdays and I met lots of new people and got lots of new numbers. I also got a little bit drunk and made friends with the boys working at Burgers Bar, which proved quite fruitful when they gave me free french fries. Free food is always an up.

 

:( Banks and bounced checks were the bane of my existence this week.

 

:)  I got to watch President Barack Obama's inauguration and was positively swelling with pride for America. How amazing is it that we have a president named Barack! Ahhh!

 

:( We still dont have a table.

 

:) But we are having a Shabbat meal here anyway. I am very excited/slightly nervous about spending my first Shabbat in Katamon. All three of us will be home and we are going out to Davida's family friend for Friday night dinner, then having lunch here with friends. It was nice to really use our kitchen (though the oven is incredibly confusing- there are two temperture knobs!) and even though we will have to eat lunch picnic style, I think it'll be really fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment