Saturday, April 18, 2009

47 Pancakes

Highlights of the past two weeks in no particular order:

1. One Seder. That right there is a reason to move to Israel. We recounted the story of leaving Egypt while lounging on mattresses on the floor and eating from low tables. We sang and talked about what it means to redeem ourselves every year. And we ate alot of Matza. yum.
2. I went for a hike that turned into a mud cave excursion. 
3. I, and a few hundred other Israelis, decided to take advantage of the lovely weather and vacation time and go to the beach in Tel Aviv. I think I spend more time in transit/ fighting in lines at the Central Bus Stations than I did at the beach. Still, I got to go to the beach :)
4.Yesterday morning I went out for breakfast and actually spent the extra dollar for an additional basket of bread because it was just so good and I had missed it so much. 
5. I learned this week that it is illegal for me to go to Ramallah. My friend is studying in a coexistence program here and her Palestinian friend offered to show her around Ramallah. Anyway, I was going to go and see a side of Israel I have never seen, but apparently Israelis are not allowed into the larger Palestinian cities like Ramallah and Jenin. Also, its not so safe, so it is a good thing I didnt go. Instead, I went through the Arab market in the Old City of Jerusalem and prayed at the Kotel (Western Wall).
6. I rose before dawn and went to pray on a hilltop with over 200 other people. Every 28 years the Jewish people say a special prayer thanking God for creating the sun. This happened to be one of those years, so as we watched the sun rise, we all said the blessing that thanks God for His creations. 
7. I went and BBQed with a base full of Israeli soldiers. One of them even took me up to the tower that overlooks the whole area and I got to watch the sun set :) Also I got to use night vision goggles. Crazy cool toys. 
8. I went to a Sefardi Memunah, which is a post-passover party where we eat lots of leaven. I think I devoured about 47 pancakes.

I tried to think of another two so I would have a nice even ten, but I couldnt. Thats ok though, 8 is a nice number. And doesnt really get all that much attention. So this email will be brought to you by the number eight. And bread. Mmm, bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment