Friday, February 19, 2010

My legs are sore from drawing smilies all over the streets of Jlem

Keeping it short and sweet this week. In a burst of unprecedented energy, I called the last of my army contacts, wrote a four page letter (in hebrew!) to the Base Commander, and even managed to get a meeting with the commander right under him. He's an incredibly busy man, but very nice, and took 15 minutes to hear about my "situation" (we had a meeting for a half hour, but he was on the phone for a good portion of it). Anyway he has promised me I will have a job within the next two weeks. Still a little unclear what that job will be, but he seems to really want me to be an english teacher, as they were without one for about 6 months and have alot of catch-up to do.
In order to sort of prep for this, I have been sitting in on the english class, learning all the hebrew and watching how Lihi (the real teacher) teaches. On Wednesday Lihi actually forced me to the front of the class and made me teach for an hour. It was mainly reviewing words and then translating text. The first part was fine, as I had a list, and aside from a few mispronunciations I did okay. Translating the text was harder, as I wasnt entirely sure whether they were getting it right. I can get all the words down but I havent quite gotten the hang of the tenses so I wont notice if they say "hold" instead of "tighten" as it is the same root in hebrew (le'hachzik or lechazek). But it was good to just get up there and do it. I do think now that if they give mea  curriculum, this is something I could do. I might not be great at first, but I think I would get the hang of it. And while it isnt what I originally wanted, it would mean I could stay on my base and in my office which would be really nice. I dont think I want to have to start all over again somewhere else. 

Anyway, we'll see what happens. I am closed (sleeping on) base next week as were having some sort of exercise. Im a little nervous about spending a solid week living with the underwear boys, but it should be fun. Hopefully theyll behave themselves. Ill let you all know how it goes next week!

Oh, and I almost forgot- HAPPY ADAR!!! Some friends and I went out Sunday night to carry on a UMD tradition of chalking the streets in celebration of the new month. We were joined by a buttload of Israelis and had a wonderful night. I attached some pics. מי שנכנס אדר מרבים בשמחה!!

No comments:

Post a Comment