Friday, February 12, 2010

This week wreaked havoc on my mood ring

I have a confession. Nothing exciting happened to me this week. I dont even have one good story that I can expand upon for a few paragraphs to fill the page. But, I dont want to disappoint my adoring fans (thats you), so I am bringing back the good old days of random lists. And to make it more fun. I am color coding

Good things that happened to me this week are this color
Bad things that happened to me this week are this color
As-yet-undetermined-whether-good-or-bad things that happened to me this week are this color.
  • I got to talk to my parents, my brothers, and a few friends in America because they were all stuck home in the snow and had nothing better to do.
  • There was no snow in Jerusalem. In fact, by the end of the week, it was quite hot outside.
  • Boris caused an unnecessary amount of teenage drama in my office and pulled me down with it, so I had to spend way too long trying to extricate myself from them mess he made.
  • I then yelled at him alot. 
  • Which meant I got to practice my Hebrew. 
  • The girls in synagogue are multiplying. On Thursday, Lihi, the english teacher I work with, joined Chen and I at Mincha.
  • As a result, they actually made an announcement in synagogue about getting the shiur (class) to end early and get out of the women's section on time.
  • I had a religious man on base ask me to please stop causing a ruckus in synagogue
  • I hung out with a friend from the army out-of-base. Motti, my bus friend, joined me and Avital when we went to see Avatar (which, actually was pretty awesome).
  • The adorable soldier that works with the Rabbi (Ariel) very excitedly presented me with a book "for women" that he found in the synagogue.
  • This book "for women" was all about modesty- to the extreme. It included things like 
  1. Women shouldnt wear red.
  2. Men should not look at women, talk to women, walk between two women, or ask them how they are doing.
  3. Women should NEVER under ANY circumstance, join the army.
  • Ariel and I are going to have a chat next week about the literature he decides to give to women. Especially since the ones that come with me are not religious and could not tell the difference between legitimate halacha and this crap.
  • I was told that my job options extend to secretary or canteen worker. The reliability of this information has yet to be determined. Still upset me alot.
  • Being upset led me to painting, which I hadnt done in too long.
  • I took a mental health day and went to Walla-je with a group where I met a Palestinian farmer and learned alot about the other side of the "conflict", as everyone calls it. I also learned alot about Arab life. Said, one of the farmers I met, continuously said things that reminded me of Sephardi men. He showed the same sort of shocked-awe as all the men in my base's synagogue when I went and prayed. 
  • I heard quite a few stories about army-brutality. I have heard these before from leftists and even from former soldiers, but it is something else entirely to hear it from the man who was stripped down to his underwear, tied to a tree, and beaten with a stick.
  • Not only did getting to this farm involve hiking through this beautiful country, but Said and Ahmed were really nice, made excellent tea, expressed a love of this land that I can definitely relate to, and most importantly at the time, took my mind off of my personal problems and reminded me of the greater dilemmas our world is facing. And through all that, they still extended a hand of friendship and kindness towards us.

No comments:

Post a Comment