Sunday, December 12, 2010

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go

My apartment looks so empty. my room so lonely. Most of the week our apartment looked like it had been raped with trash everywhere, suitcases in piles exploding all over the place and a ridiculous amount of STUFF scattered all over every surface. But now it is Friday, and we are all cleaned up. Still, the walls are bare (as all the art on them belonged to me) me room looks naked and a surprisingly large amount of boxes sit in the corner waiting to be moved to Efrat. Nechama moved out on Sunday and the new roommate, Ilana, moved in on Tuesday. My replacement is coming on Sunday and it very much feels like the end of an era. For two years, this apartment was my home and the people that gathered here became my family.
I am excited to come back to the States, in fact I am more than ready to move on to the next step, thrilled that I am going to get to spend so much time with my family and friends. And kind of hoping for some snow (knowing my luck, there will be none, despite the Snowmageddon of last year). I feel ready for this move, and for that I am glad. I know that I will be coming back soon and five months will fly by, but again, it is this feeling of moving on to something else, of taking the next step that is making me pause, sitting on my couch that will soon no longer be mine, saying goodbye to an apartment that already feels like a memory.
And now I am getting overly poetic which I really shouldn't do, as two years in Israel has severely impaired my vocabulary. So I am going to head out, enjoy my last Shabbat in Israel (for awhile), and I will see you all soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment