Saturday, December 4, 2010

Home for the Holidays

I know it has been awhile, and for that I apologize. It was a combination of lack of time and lack of anything exciting to say. And partially an aversion to having to relive my week and take out the valuable parts.

I find that my mood is fluctuating alot and I am having trouble thinking about why. There are alot of emotions tied to my almost imminent departure, both good and bad. There are days when I cannot believe I am leaving for so long, and others when I cannot wait to get out of here. I am ready for the change that these few months will bring, but I do worry about having to come back and start from scratch in Haifa.

Esti and I
Last night my roommates fiancee, Avi invited us over to sing with him while he lit candles so he wasn't alone. It was only about 20 minutes, and only a few of us, but it was the kind of request that one asks of their "Oleh" family, and it made me smile to be with mine. Tonight was "Family Channukah". It started with a brief visit to the Auerbach Family dinner, to which the invitation alone reminded me how much a part of the family they consider me. I then had to rush home for my "family" as my roommates and a few close friends were planning on lighting together, eating some latkas and exchanging gifts. It was so nice to line up and light with my friends and then sit around youtubing Channukah songs, eating a ridiculous amount of fried food (this is totally a southern holiday) and swapping silly gifts. It really felt like home and made me realize how much of a home this apartment has become. Not just in terms of how comfortable I feel here, but how many of our friends find refuge in our apartment and come to us when life is kicking their ass. More of my friends came over around 8, thankfully bringing some salad to cleanse our palettes before the next round of latkas (these ones were zucchini!) and providing this wonderful comfortable atmosphere of friendship and food. 

I have missed my family on every one of the holidays (especially Thanksgiving), but it was so nice to see all my different families come together with me for this one. It comforts me to know that these people are more than friends or neighbors. They are the you of Israel. These are the people that will miss me when I am gone and welcome me back when I return. Coming back to America is never had because I know my family waits for me and misses me and cares for me. And today was the very necessary reminder that I have managed to build that here as well. 

I wish you all a wonderful Channukah full of light and love and latkas.
Our Chanukayot


No comments:

Post a Comment