Saturday, June 18, 2011

This week I met a man named Nissim Issim and was the only one in the room who thought it was funny

This week I decided to spice things up a bit and went to work in a doctor's office. To be more precise, my adopted dad's secretary was out for the week so I filled in for her. Originally I was a little scared. Mostly of the phone. I developed a serious fear of answering the phone while I was in the army. I was sure that something really important would happen, like us going to war or getting bombed by Iraq, and they would call to tell us to do something really important, and I would answer the phone. But of course, they would talk really fast and then hang up and I wouldn't know what had just happened and other dramatic events would ensue and we would lose the war all because I didn't understand what they said when I answered the phone. Given, this is an eye doctor's office, and not the Israeli Air Force (not that anything that occurred in my office would affect the outcome of a war. I hope.) but I was still rather nervous. But I was bored, unemployed, and he really needed the help. Plus, he believed I could do it, so I had to believe it to. As it turns out, most of his patients speak English. But really, I had 20 or so conversations in Hebrew and I was fine and apparently did not forget everything I know in the 5 months I was in America. Go me!

This was, however, a one week gig. BUT I did get another job working as a full time babysitter starting next week. I am taking over for my friend Shoshana since she is going to America for a month. The kid is adorable (though not as cute as Alon) and about 8 months old. His parents are awesome, and though the days will be rather long I am thinking of it as another opportunity to empathize with my sister. Shosh, we will have to swap "how to entertain a baby in the summer" ideas. (Or "how to entertain myself while watching a baby" ideas.)

I do now feel like my life has returned to the hectic state I prefer. It would be nice if there was some type of middle ground, but it the activity level in my life seems to be on an "all or nothing" scale. In addition to working, I regained my social skills this week and spent some quality time with friends I hadn't seen yet. This included getting spit up on by my friend's son, sitting on a street corner for 3 hours, and discovering that my favorite bar no longer serves all the foods that made it my favorite bar (these events did not occur at the same time), but all in all they were good experiences. I also got to go on an unofficial tour of Ein Kerem which was like discovering this secret little part of Jerusalem. There was bougainvillea everywhere and all these little secret gardens and nooks (I love nooks) interspersed with beautiful churches and cute little cafes. And apparently, in 1948 when all the Arabs left this neighborhood, the government was just giving the houses away to new immigrants. If only, if only!

In other news, my summer trip to Italy plans are actually being planned! (IN YOUR FACE EZ! This is one Kfi plan that will come to fruition!) I have found a farm in Tuscany run by an artist and a balloon pilot and will be there for two weeks at the end of August. I am super psyched because they are awesome. Now I just need to figure out what I will be doing the rest of the time I am in Italy and where I will be staying. All friends who have been to Italy: feel free to advise at this point. Also, there is an open invite out to join me! Art, farming, and Italy! What's not to like??

Anyway I will get going now. I am going to Haifa for Shabbat so that I can meet new people and hopefully find someone looking for a roommate. Still assuming I get in of course. I was called for a first round interview in a few weeks, so lets hope they see how amazing I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment