Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Sometimes I have delayed emotional reactions

Do you ever cruise along on supreme confidence until the moment when you need it most and you suddenly find yourself overwhelmingly nervous?

Well that is pretty much what happened to me when I went to Haifa for my interview this week. Though I have known that nothing was official and keep meaning to come up with a Plan B, I have not actually done that because deep down inside I was pretty confident that I would have no problem getting into this Master's program. I even tried to get nervous the night before because I felt like I should be, but couldn't quite get it. Even though my bus took 45 minutes and I was nearly late, I was still doing okay. That is until I sat down with the other 15 women who had been called for this interview and eavesdropped on their conversation. Which was all about how hard it is to get into the art therapy program and how many of them were there for the second year, having been rejected the year before. Oh, great.

Of course, at the moment the three professors (also women- apparently no men are interested in art therapy) who would be interviewing us came in. The interview would be split into two parts- an individual project and a group project- both with the objective of drawing a picture that represents what art therapy means. I had a pretty good idea for the individual part, creating what is called a "Feelings Map" that allows you to chart out your various emotions and their interactions without having to find the words for it. This is a big part of art therapy- expression without words, so I thought this was a great idea. That is, until we all reconvened to talk about out drawings and I realized I did not have that much to say. This was further aggravated by the fact that I had to go second and had stupidly been thinking in English this whole time. So I fumbled through a short explanation of my drawing and then proceeded to feel more and more stupid as I listened to these Israelis all say things that sounded really smart and well worded in Hebrew. Ugh.

So when we were split into three groups, I was determined to show the professor monitoring us that I was not a total nincompoop and was in fact capable of speaking Hebrew. I think I actually did pretty well on this one, in terms of working with the group and standing out as the spectacular individual that I am. I also approached the professors afterwards to explain that, though my Hebrew may not be perfect, I will work very hard to make sure it is not a problem. They did not seem at all concerned about my Hebrew, but I left feeling rather nervous regardless.

This was the last step to being accepted, so I will hopefully know within a few weeks. I guess I should thank my odd mental state for at least waiting until now to let me get nervous. At least its only a few weeks, right?

I have also started looking for apartments in Haifa. I am at that point where I would really like to unpack. And have a home. And feel grounded. But as that will not be happening for a few more months, I will throw myself into planning my Italy trip as a distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment