Sunday, July 12, 2009

"Blast" and other comic book expletives

This morning someone woke me up with a question about scrap metal. I kind of like how I am the go-to person for questions like this.

So this week we went on a field trip with PresenTense up to the Haifa area. We went to the Google center (who, by the way, are going to take over the world and I am totally cool with it), where they gave us a presentation on YouTube and lots of free food. (They had an entire fridge full or Ben and Jerry's- which is even more exciting in Israel). If any of you ever have the opportunity to work for Google- do it.
We also went to Kfar Tikva which is a village for adults with special needs. They have created an entire community there to support adults with special needs but still give them the freedoms that we all deserve when we grow up. It was the first of its kind when it started like 30 years ago, and it is still a unique program today.
And then we went to the Tishbi Winery and got lots of free drinks. Luckily we were headed straight home after that so I didnt have to worry so much about maintaining balance. Or so I thought. On the way home one of the other interns, who is also a certified tour guide, wanted to give an explanation of the area but had no map. So she asked me to stand in. So I got to stand in front of the bus with my hand on my head and one leg crooked and try to maintain balance. It didnt work so well. There were also some awkward moments when we were talking about the mountainous north.
Other than that, my week was really good. I am having a blast hanging out with the fellows. My favorite is a librarian from NY who has an absolutely ridiculous laugh and yells "blast" whenever something goes wrong. Then there is the Israeli boy who still flirts like a 12 year old, and by that I mean we abuse each other at every opportunity and try to trip each other. Then there is the 29 year old working on a follow up program for palestinian-israeli programs who is obsessed with ultimate frisbee and acts like shes 19. Is it weird that all the ones I am making friends with dont act anything close to their age?
The interns are also pretty rockin, both metaphorically and literally. I spent 2-3 hours last night hanging out with some of them while they jammed. I sometimes wish I was musical, but then I dont know if I would appreciate other peoples talent as much.

That was about it for the excitement of the week. Yesterday was a fast day because it is the anniversary of the beginning of the siege of Jerusalem. For the next three weeks Jerusalem fought, inside and out, until the Temple was destroyed. It feels much more real, living in Jerusalem now.

Anyway, my shabbat plans just came together incredibly last minute and I am headed down south to Yerucham to see my friend from high school. So I gotta book it and get my stuff otgether so I dont miss the last bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment